This course is intended for those who have never been canyoneering along with those wanting to refresh their understanding of the many core concepts. The basics are a critical starting point for every responsible individual entering the canyons. Throughout the course you will learn to identify and understand core concepts of trip planning, equipment, rappelling, anchor rigging, canyon movement, overall general safety and much more. The goal of this course is to convey the core concepts of canyoneering, through study and practical application, so you can become a contributing team member while in canyon with competent leaders and mentors.
Class size is limited to 15 students.
Experience required: AMC Outdoor Rock Climbing School and AMC Anchors School. The skills learned in these AMC Climbing schools provide a solid foundation for a transition to canyons and the specialized skills and techniques unique to canyoneering.
CLASS SCHEDULE FOR THE Spring/Summer 2019 Class:
|Tue Oct 22||6:00pm – 9:00pm||North Mountain Visitor Center|
|Thur Oct 24||6:00pm – 9:00pm||North Mountain Visitor Center|
|Sat Oct 26||7:00am – 6:00pm||TBD|
|Sun Oct 27||7:00am – 6:00pm||TBD|
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED FOR THE CLASS:
All students will be expected to provide personal gear including the following items*:
- Harness, helmet, and personal anchor
- 1 specialized canyon rappel device (no need to buy - will be provided on Day 1 to each student)
- 4 locking carabiners (HMS (pear) shaped preferred with a screw gate)
- 3 prusiks cords (or whatever you use to ascend with)
- 1 autoblock (VT prusik preferred)
- 30 ft of webbing (1 inch)
- Pack suitable to carry your personal gear, food, water, standard “take everywhere” stuff, as well as rope and anchor material
*NOTE: No extra gear is required beyond that required for the prerequisite AMC Basic Rock & Anchors schools.
- Note: You must be a current AMC club member to register for this school.
- Payment may be made by credit card, cash or personal check.
- If you are a current AMC club member (i.e. your dues are paid for this year), great!! If not, please go to the membership page at http://arizonamountaineeringclub.net/membership/ and complete the membership process.
- Refund policy: The cost of the class is fully refundable if you decide to cancel. The Club Membership Fee is non-refundable.
- To pay by personal check or cash, please contact Tom Seeley at email@example.com.
to make arrangements.
- To pay using a Credit Card (preferred), please use the PayPal button below. Please note that you DO NOT need to have a PayPal account to use this service with your personal credit card.
For any questions or additional info, please contact Tom Seeley at firstname.lastname@example.org