Special Notice - As of mid-May 2021, the COVID-19 transmission status is at "Stage 2" or "Moderate" and trending in a good direction. Consequently, we are moving forward with planning and registration for the Fall 2021 Basic Canyoneering School. At this time we are accepting payment of the $125 class fee to secure a position on the student roster, up to a limit of 8 students.
Basic Canyoneering Course Description
This course is intended for those who have never been canyoneering along with those wanting to refresh their understanding of the many core concepts. The basics are a critical starting point for every responsible individual entering the canyons. Throughout the course you will learn to identify and understand core concepts of trip planning, equipment, rappelling, anchor rigging, canyon movement, overall general safety and much more. The goal of this course is to convey the core concepts of canyoneering, through study and practical application, so you can become a contributing team member while in canyon with competent leaders and mentors.
Class size is limited to 8 students.
Experience required: AMC Outdoor Rock Climbing School and AMC Anchors School. The skills learned in these AMC Climbing schools provide a solid foundation for a transition to canyons and the specialized skills and techniques unique to canyoneering. If you have not explicitly taken these two prerequisite AMC Schools, sorry but you are NOT eligible to participate.
Class Schedule for the Fall 2021 School:
|Tuesday, Nov 2||6:00pm – 9:00pm||TBD|
|Thursday, Nov 4||6:00pm – 9:00pm||TBD|
|Saturday, Nov 6||8:00am – 4:00pm||Tom's Thumb Trailhead|
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED FOR THE CLASS:
All students will be expected to provide personal gear including the following items*:
- Harness, helmet, and personal anchor
- 1 specialized canyon rappel device (no need to buy - will be provided to each student and is yours to keep!)
- 4 locking carabiners (HMS shaped preferred with a screw gate)
- 3 prusiks cords (or whatever you use to ascend with)
- 1 autoblock (VT prusik preferred)
- 30 ft of webbing (1 inch)
- Pack suitable to carry your personal gear, food, water, standard “take everywhere” stuff, as well as rope and anchor material
*NOTE: No extra gear is required beyond that required for the prerequisite AMC Basic Rock & Anchors schools, except the longer piece of webbing, which is pretty handy anyway).
- Note: You must be a current AMC club member to register for this school. If you are not currently a club member, go to http://arizonamountaineeringclub.net/membership/ to complete the membership process. You must also be a graduate of both the AMC Basic Rock and Anchors Schools.
- Contact Tom Seeley at firstname.lastname@example.org. to indicate your request to participate. Tom will add you to the list (and waitlist you if the max number of spots has been reached).
- If you are a current AMC club member (i.e. your dues are paid for this year), great!! If not, please go to the membership page at http://arizonamountaineeringclub.net/membership/ and complete the membership process.
- IF you have the prerequisite AMC Basic and Anchors Schools, then pay the $125 fee to secure your spot on the student roster.
- Refund policy: The cost of the class is fully refundable if you decide to cancel. The Club Membership Fee is non-refundable.
- To pay by personal check or cash, please contact Tom Seeley at email@example.com.
to make arrangements.
- To pay using a Credit Card (preferred), please use the PayPal button below. Please note that you DO NOT need to have a PayPal account to use this service with your personal credit card.