Special Notice -
Special Notice - Due to the status of COVID-19 transmission in Maricopa County as of September, 2021, the class size for the Fall Basic Canyoneering School will be limited to 10 students and all sessions will be conducted on-line or outdoors, eliminating all normal in-door activities. To register, follow the instructions below.
Basic Canyoneering Course Description
This course is intended for those who have never been canyoneering along with those wanting to refresh their understanding of the many core concepts. The basics are a critical starting point for every responsible individual entering the canyons. Throughout the course you will learn to identify and understand core concepts of trip planning, equipment, rappelling, anchor rigging, canyon movement, overall general safety and much more. The goal of this course is to convey the core concepts of canyoneering, through study and practical application, so you can become a contributing team member while in canyon with competent leaders and mentors.
Class size is limited to 10 students.
Experience required: AMC Outdoor Rock Climbing School and AMC Anchors School (or equivalent). The skills learned in these AMC Climbing schools provide a solid foundation for a transition to canyons and the specialized skills and techniques unique to canyoneering. If you have not explicitly taken these two prerequisite AMC Schools, but you believe you have the prerequisite climbing and anchor building skills, please contact Tom Seeley at email@example.com to discuss.
Class Schedule for the Fall 2021 School:
|Tuesday, Nov 2||6:00pm – 9:00pm||To be announced|
|Thursday, Nov 4||6:00pm – 9:00pm||To be announced|
|Saturday, Nov 6||8:00am – 4:00pm||Tom's Thumb Trailhead|
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED FOR THE CLASS:
All students will be expected to provide personal gear including the following items*:
- Harness, helmet, and personal anchor
- 1 specialized canyon rappel device (no need to buy - will be provided to each student and is yours to keep!)
- 4 locking carabiners (HMS shaped preferred with a screw gate)
- 3 prusiks cords (or whatever you use to ascend with)
- 1 autoblock (VT prusik preferred)
- 30 ft of webbing (1 inch)
- Pack suitable to carry your personal gear, food, water, standard “take everywhere” stuff, as well as rope and anchor material
*NOTE: No extra gear is required beyond that required for the prerequisite AMC Basic Rock & Anchors schools, except the longer piece of webbing, which is pretty handy anyway).
- Note: You must be a current AMC club member to register for this school. If you are not currently a club member, go to http://arizonamountaineeringclub.net/membership/ to complete the membership process. You must also be a graduate of both the AMC Basic Rock and Anchors Schools or possess equivalent skills.
- Contact Tom Seeley at firstname.lastname@example.org. to indicate your request to participate. Tom will add you to the list (and waitlist you if the max number of spots has been reached).
- If you are a current AMC club member (i.e. your dues are paid for this year), great!! If not, please go to the membership page at http://arizonamountaineeringclub.net/membership/ and complete the membership process.
- Refund policy: The cost of the class is fully refundable if you decide to cancel. The Club Membership Fee is non-refundable.
- Tom Seeley (email@example.com) will send payment instructions via email to complete the registration process.