Special Notice - At this time, the Fall 2020 Basic Canyoneering School has been rescheduled to mid-November and is accepting enrollment. However, due to the uncertainty of the future public health situation, it is possible that this school will also need to be cancelled. If you plan to participate in the Fall School, given that it goes on as scheduled, please follow instructions below to enroll. In view of the uncertainty of the schedule and to avoid the hassle of refunds in case a class is cancelled, we are NOT accepting pre-payment of the class fee. If you plan to participate, follow instructions to enroll in the school; when it is determined that the class will proceed as scheduled, you will be requested to pay the applicable fee and provided with the payment options to secure your spot.
This course is intended for those who have never been canyoneering along with those wanting to refresh their understanding of the many core concepts. The basics are a critical starting point for every responsible individual entering the canyons. Throughout the course you will learn to identify and understand core concepts of trip planning, equipment, rappelling, anchor rigging, canyon movement, overall general safety and much more. The goal of this course is to convey the core concepts of canyoneering, through study and practical application, so you can become a contributing team member while in canyon with competent leaders and mentors.
Class size is limited to 10 students.
Experience required: AMC Outdoor Rock Climbing School and AMC Anchors School. The skills learned in these AMC Climbing schools provide a solid foundation for a transition to canyons and the specialized skills and techniques unique to canyoneering.
CLASS SCHEDULE FOR THE FALL 2020 Class:
|Tuesday, Nov 17||6:00pm – 9:00pm||Instructor's Home|
|Thursday, Nov 19||6:00pm – 9:00pm||Instructor's Home|
|Saturday, Nov 21||8:00am – 4:00pm||Tom's Thumb Trailhead|
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED FOR THE CLASS:
All students will be expected to provide personal gear including the following items*:
- Harness, helmet, and personal anchor
- 1 specialized canyon rappel device (no need to buy - will be provided to each student and is yours to keep!)
- 4 locking carabiners (HMS shaped preferred with a screw gate)
- 3 prusiks cords (or whatever you use to ascend with)
- 1 autoblock (VT prusik preferred)
- 30 ft of webbing (1 inch)
- Pack suitable to carry your personal gear, food, water, standard “take everywhere” stuff, as well as rope and anchor material
*NOTE: No extra gear is required beyond that required for the prerequisite AMC Basic Rock & Anchors schools, except the longer piece of webbing, which is pretty handy anyway).
- Note: You must be a current AMC club member to register for this school.
- Contact Tom Seeley at firstname.lastname@example.org. to indicate your request to participate. Tom will add you to the list (and waitlist you if the max number of spots has been reached). If future health guidelines permit to class to proceed, Tom will notify you and provided payment guidance to secure your spot in the class.
- Payment may be made by credit card, cash or personal check.
- If you are a current AMC club member (i.e. your dues are paid for this year), great!! If not, please go to the membership page at http://arizonamountaineeringclub.net/membership/ and complete the membership process.
- Refund policy: The cost of the class is fully refundable if you decide to cancel. The Club Membership Fee is non-refundable.
For any questions or additional info, please contact Tom Seeley at email@example.com