Anchors – The Next Step in Your Climbing Journey
This course is the next step for AMC Outdoor Rock Climbing grads. We will teach you how to safely and efficiently build anchors for all aspects of rock climbing. Combined with the skills learned in the Outdoor Rock Climbing School, you will have the complete skill set required for safe top-rope climbing.
LEARN: Anchor types, components, required knots and hitches, use of natural and artificial protection (stoppers, tricams, hexes, SLCDs), and critical elements of safe anchor construction. Understand and apply SERENE and ERNEST principles in hands-on practice with individual instruction.
CLASS SCHEDULE FOR THE Spring 2018 Class:
|Tue Nov 6||5:30pm – 9:30pm||Phoenix – North Mountain Visitor Center|
|Thu Nov 8||6:00pm – 9:30pm||Phoenix – North Mountain Visitor Center|
|Sat Nov 10||8:00am – 4:00pm||Chino Valley – Sullivan’s Canyon|
|Sun Nov 11||8:00am – 5:00pm||Chino Valley – Promised Land|
AMC Outdoor Rock Climbing School graduate or equivalent, which must include knowledge of how to belay, rappel, prusik, and basic climbing knots (figure eight tie-in, figure eight on a bight, grapevine/double fisherman, girth hitch).
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED FOR THE CLASS WILL BE:
- 2 non-locking “D” or Oval carabiners (bring more if you have them)
- 3 locking carabiners (at least 3, one of which should be a parabiner)
- 1 tube style rappel/belay device (Trango Jaws, Black Diamond ATC, Trango Pyramid, Figure-8, etc.)
- 1 climbing harness
- 1 ea – 4′, 6′, 10′ 6mm prusiks (untied length)
- 1 ea – 10′, 20′ slings (1″ tubular webbing, untied length)
- 1 personal anchor slings (commercial PAS or 4′ sewn nylon or Spectra runners or equivalent)
- 1 20′ cordelette (20-foot length of 7mm accessory cord)
- 1 double length (48”) sewn nylon sling (typically 11/16” wide)
- 1 helmet (req’d for Sat & Sun, provided by AMC if you don’t have your own)
*NOTE – The slings,personal anchor and harness are the only additional equipment needed over the AMC Basic Outdoor Climbing School requirements.
Helmets: Students will be required to wear a helmet during the Saturday and Sunday session. Helmets are available if you do not have one. This class is designed to teach you how to set top-rope anchors. In order to become independent and set your own anchors, you should start acquiring anchor gear. These purchases will be limited by how much money you want/have to spend and how much interest you have in climbing independently. The following gear is not required for the anchors class, but if you have some, you will be able to practice setting it in a controlled, learning environment during the class. All of the gear recommended below can be used for the lead class, and none of it will be wasted if you intend to set your own anchors. All gear should be marked prior to bringing it to class to prevent confusion between it and other people’s gear. If you don’t know how to mark gear, check with an instructor before doing so to avoid weakening equipment due to improper marking techniques.
OTHER GEAR that you may want to bring to anchors class:
- Pro you might already own or borrow from a friend (hexes, nuts, camming devices, Tri-cams, etc)
- Extra biners (regular D’s, ovals, lockers – avoid specialty biners at this time)
- Extra slings (perhaps additional 20′ slings, untied length, 24′ sewn runners)
- Note: You must be a current AMC club member to register for this school.
- Payment may be made by credit card or personal check.
- If you are a current AMC club member (i.e. your dues are paid for this year), great!! If not, please go to the membership page at http://arizonamountaineeringclub.net/membership/ and complete the membership process.
- Refund policy: The cost of the class is fully refundable if you decide to cancel. The Membership Fee is non-refundable.
- If paying with a personal check, Contact Scott Kuchman at email@example.com for current mailing address information or for any questions or additional information.
- If paying by credit card, please use the “Buy Now” button below. Note that you do NOT have to have a PayPal account to pay with your personal credit card.