The February 2020 Lead School is FULL. The next AMC Lead School is scheduled for September, 2020. Registration will open in February after the upcoming school is completed.
This is an advanced climbing class. All aspects of lead climbing will be addressed with a strong emphasis on multi-pitch trad climbing. Topics include gear (ropes and pro), the dynamics of lead falls, solid gear placement, rope management, anchors, and the mental as well as physical aspects of sport and trad leading. This class is for every competent climber. Even if you do not plan on leading, you will learn and understand the dynamics of lead climbing, and it will make you a more knowledgeable and capable climber and lead belayer. There will be no “true” lead climbs during the class – all lead climbing experiences in this class will be protected with a top-rope.
For additional class details, see Lead School Flyer Spring 2020
Students - For Instructional materials, see Lead School Manual
AMC Outdoor Rock Climbing School and AMC Anchors School or equivalent experience. This includes:
- Demonstrated solid outdoor top-rope rock climbing experience, including standard climbing calls and partner checks.
- Competency with current belay (PBUS) and rappel techniques, including use of autoblock backup.
- Demonstrated competency with basic climbing knots and hitches, including figure 8, friction hitches (autoblock, klemheist, prusik), clove hitch, muenter hitch.
- Demonstrated competency with standard top-rope anchors, including application of open and closed cordellettes, pre-equalized anchors (e.g. 2 and 3 point cordellette), self-equalizing anchors (magic X, quad, "web-o-lette", equalette) and extended anchors utilizing bolts, gear placements, and natural features.
Basically, you need top know how to top-rope real rock at a moderate level using current "best practice" techniques and processes (not just what you learned from friends) and be competent at evaluating and building solid, timely anchors. You will utilize this foundation to learn the fundamentals of lead climbing, including actual mock leads requiring you to use trad gear, as well as provide a lead belay for a partner; the mock lead means you will have a top-rope backup throughout this school.
CLASS SCHEDULE FOR THE Fall 2019 Class:
|Tue Feb 11||6:30pm – 9:30pm||Chateau de Vie 5 Clubhouse||5900 N 83rd St Scottsdale AZ|
|Thur Feb 13||6:30pm – 9:30pm||Chateau de Vie 5 Clubhouse||5900 N 83rd St Scottsdale A|
|Sat Feb 15||8:00am – 4:00pm||Sullivan's Canyon (Chino Valley)|
|Sun Feb 16||9:00am – 5:00pm||TBD|
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED FOR THE CLASS:
The following will not be needed the first night. You may want to listen to the gear lectures before making purchases.
- All climbing gear (harness, prusiks, biners, etc.)
- Helmet – mandatory for all on-rock sessions
- Specifically needed:
- 2 20′ slings (untied length), preferably different colors
- 1 10′ slings (untied length) or 48" sewn runner
- *Nut pick
- *Quickdraws with biners – at least 5 per person
- *All pro that you own, which may include cams, hexes, wired nuts, Tri-cams, etc.
- Hiking boots or shoes with stiff soles for Saturday, climbing shoes for Sunday
- Optional: kneepads for Saturday ($3-6 at Home Depot, $5 volleyball pads at sporting goods stores)
*If you don’t own this stuff, you can borrow it from generous volunteer instructors
- Note: You must be a current AMC club member to register for this school.
- Payment may be made by credit card or personal check.
- If you are a current AMC club member (i.e. your dues are paid for this year), great!! If not, please go to the membership page at http://arizonamountaineeringclub.net/membership/ and complete the membership process.
- Refund policy: The cost of the class is fully refundable if you decide to cancel. The Membership Fee is non-refundable.
- If paying with a personal check, Contact Scott Kuchman at firstname.lastname@example.org for current mailing address information or for any questions or additional information.
- If paying by credit card, please use the "Buy Now" button below. Note that you do NOT have to have a PayPal account to pay with your personal credit card.
For any questions or additional info contact Scott Kuchman at email: email@example.com.