This is an advanced climbing class. All aspects of lead climbing will be addressed with a strong emphasis on multi-pitch trad climbing. Topics include gear (ropes and pro), the dynamics of lead falls, solid gear placement, rope management, anchors, and the mental as well as physical aspects of sport and trad leading. This class is for every competent climber. Even if you do not plan on leading, you will learn and understand the dynamics of lead climbing, and it will make you a more knowledgeable and capable climber and lead belayer. There will be no “true” lead climbs during the class – all lead climbing experiences in this class will be protected with a top-rope.
For additional class details, see AMC Lead School Flyer – Fall 2018
Students – For Instructional materials, see Lead School Manual
AMC Outdoor Rock Climbing School and AMC Anchors School or equivalent experience. This includes solid basic rock climbing, belaying, and rappelling skills, all basic climbing knots and the ability to build solid trad anchors.
CLASS SCHEDULE FOR THE Spring 2018 Class:
|Tue Sept 11||6:30pm – 9:30pm||Chateau de Vie 5 Clubhouse||5900 N 83rd St Scottsdale AZ|
|Thur Sept 13||6:30pm – 9:30pm||Chateau de Vie 5 Clubhouse||5900 N 83rd St Scottsdale AZ|
|Sat Sept 15||8:00am – 4:00pm||Chino Valley – Sullivan’s Canyon (weather permitting)|
|Sun Sept 16||9:00am – 5:00pm||Chino Valley Promised Land – (weather permitting)|
EQUIPMENT REQUIRED FOR THE CLASS:
The following will not be needed the first night. You may want to listen to the gear lectures before making purchases.
- All climbing gear (harness, prusiks, biners, etc.)
- Helmet – mandatory for all on-rock sessions
- Specifically needed:
- 2 20′ slings (untied length), preferably different colors
- 1 10′ slings (untied length)
- *Nut pick
- *Quickdraws with biners – at least 5 per person
- All pro that you own, which may include cams, hexes, wired nuts, Tri-cams, etc.
- Consider combining with another person to have enough gear
- Hiking boots or shoes with stiff soles for Saturday, climbing shoes for Sunday
- Optional: kneepads for Saturday ($3-6 at Home Depot, $5 volleyball pads at sporting goods stores)
*If you don’t own this stuff, you can borrow this stuff from generous volunteer instructors
- Cost: $125 plus membership if not already a member. This fee is fully refundable.
- The annual membership fee $40 for an individual and $50 for a family. After June 30th, the membership fee is prorated for the remainder of the year: $20 for an individual and $25 for a family. If joining after August 31st, you have the option to pay a full year membership and be credited through next year (Bonus!). Please note – the membership fee is non-refundable.
- Payment may be made by PayPal or check.
If paying by PayPal, select from the options below: